Work Zone Safety Tips
The California Department of Transportation wants you to return home safely to your family. The following tips are to help you stay safe while traveling through maintenance and construction work zones. Motorists can make trips a little safer by remembering the following work zone safety tips.
- Do not speed in work zones; obey the posted speed limits.
- Stay Alert! Expect the unexpected.
- Watch for workers; drive with caution.
- Don’t change lanes unnecessarily.
- Avoid using mobile phones while driving in work zones.
- Turn on headlights so that workers and other drivers can see you.
- Be especially alert at night while driving in work zones.
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Allow ample space between you and the car in front of you.
- Anticipate lane shifts, and merge when directed to do so.
- Be Patient!
NOTICE OF ROAD CLOSURE FOR
EMERGENCY ROAD REPAIR
Where: A complete road closure on Tozer Street (Road 28) between Avenue 15 and Clinton
Street to allow for repairs of the road at this location. See map below for details.
When: February 27, 2023
Duration: Approximately 14 to 21 days
General Information Contact: City of Madera Engineering Department: (559) 661-5418
After Hours Contact: City of Madera Police Department: (559) 675-4220
COTTONWOOD CREEK BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT SET TO BEGIN
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), along with Security Paving, announces the long-term Cottonwood Creek Bridge project. The purpose of the project is to replace the three aging bridges on State Route 99, just south of Avenue 12, over Cottonwood Creek. The project is expected to last nearly two years.
The following will occur starting Sunday night, March 19th:
- The eastbound Avenue 12 on-ramp to southbound
SR-99 will be closed starting Sunday night.
- This will be a long-term closure.
- A detour for that closure will be in place
Closures may continue for longer periods of time, if necessary, due to delays caused by weather or uncontrollable events that may occur.
Caltrans reminds you to drive with extra care and allow additional time while travelling near construction zones. Please be alert for construction personnel and remember to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
When any changes or issues come up, including those and off-ramp closures, I will be sending out commuter alerts. For the latest community alerts, check the chamber website.