Notice of Construction: March 8, 2019: The Union Pacific Railroad will be performing railroad tie work at various crossings through town. The railroad will make use of flaggers with the intent of reducing traffic closures to between 1 and 5 minutes. Even with these efforts, drivers should expect that they could experience delays ranging from minimal to significant depending on the time of day. Areas that could be affected: Cleveland Avenue, Central Avenue, 3rd and 4th Street, Yosemite Avenue, 9th Street, and Olive Avenue.
For General Information Contact: City of Madera, Engineering (559) 661-5418. After Hours Contact: Madera, Police Department (559) 675-4200
The California Department of Transportation wants you to return home safely to your family. The following tips are to help you stay safe while traveling through maintenance and construction work zones. Motorists can make trips a little safer by remembering the following work zone safety tips.
- Do not speed in work zones; obey the posted speed limits.
- Stay Alert! Expect the unexpected.
- Watch for workers; drive with caution.
- Don’t change lanes unnecessarily.
- Avoid using mobile phones while driving in work zones.
- Turn on headlights so that workers and other drivers can see you.
- Be especially alert at night while driving in work zones.
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Allow ample space between you and the car in front of you.
- Anticipate lane shifts, and merge when directed to do so.
- Be Patient!